In February, I found this charity organization and shared that info in an earlier blog. Here is the kit I got from Quilts for Kids.
I got right to work and had the top pieced and sandwiched the first week. The pattern is super easy and the fabric is so cute! I love the tone on tone white.
Machine quilting is required so I got to work on the Bernina. The quilting they recommended was stitch in the ditch horizontally and vertically and diagonally between all the blocks. Stitching around the inner border and in the outer border. My mom’s new machine has all these fun stitches including a car. I thought that would be a fun touch around the outer border.
It was slow going and harder than the small practice piece I did. It didn’t take long before the cars were no longer cars and because I wasn’t checking my work as I went, I did a whole long side of the quilt before I realized the disaster I was creating!
Soooo…. I spent a several hours frogging (unpicking machine quilting). I finally got all the cars out and headed back up to Mom’s to borrow her machine again. This time I just went with a plain straight line. I am running out of time to get it back within 6 weeks. Stitching in the ditch is a little harder than it sounds. I watched a couple of videos and read a few articles and learned a few tips on staying in the ditch, so hopefully there will be less straying out of the ditch next time.
Brownie is holding up the quilt. Her little arms didn’t allow for a very long session and she said “whew, this is heavy” after two pictures. haha The binding is just folded over backing and zigzaged it. Here it is all done. It had to be washed and dried and as soon as it comes out of the dryer, I can package it up and mail it back on my way to pick up kids. Thank goodness – I squeezed this little no sweat project in one day before the final due date. I still have to sign the label – I was so excited about that to start with and now I am not sure I want to claim it with my name. Such a learning curve to machine quilting!